Balance of Health
The NIMC Balance of Health can be an interactive, dynamic model that you can modify to work for you and your healing path.
There are many ways to conceptualize health, many choices and supports to our health, many different types and combination of providers and modalities to help us. Some use different constructs to understand health –a western medical prospective, –an oriental medicine approach, –Ayurvedic medicine, –spiritual practices, –energy work, –nervous system function. Sometimes the choices can be overwhelming and some approaches are limited to only one area of our health.
The NIMC Balance of Health is designed as a simple way to keep in mind three key areas that can incorporate all the various approaches and concerns.
At NIMC, most providers work with all the aspects of the Balance of Health, and we all recognize the importance of paying attention to each area.
The NIMC Balance of Health Triangle
Below are some of the ideas and issues under each side of our Balance of Health triangle. Add some more of your own. Make it work for you. Congratulations on paying attention to your health!
Nutrition & Food
- Food choices- the NEW food pyramid
- Eat 7 veggies and fruits a day
- 3-5 daily meals with protein
- Vitamins & supplements
- Healthy weight
- Eating patterns
- Eliminate trans fats
- Anti-inflammatory diet to assist with inflammatory illness
Add more of your own ideas about Food and Nutrition…
Exercise & Movement
- Fitness & flexibility
- 30 minutes a day of exercise
- Normal function and optimal performance
- Good ergonomics at home, work and driving
- Injury assessment and maximum recovery
- Relaxing muscle restrictions
- Personal exercise plan
- Core stability issues
- Increased lean muscle mass protects joints/bones/strength
Add more of your own ideas about Movement and Exercise…
Emotions, Stress, Family, Spirit
- Stress and change
- Stress management skills
- Trauma and abuse
- Depression and anxiety
- Healthy sleep
- Optimal Performance
- Behavior change support
- Family interactions and support
- This is a very broad area… add your own ideas…
Congratulations – You are working on your health choices!